Background

November 16, 2012

Losing It

My favorite poem of all time is Elizabeth Bishop’s poem titled One Art. I read it in college, and was gripped with the certainty that it contained huge truths about myself. I wrote an essay for Dr. Wood in which I poured all my fears and feelings into 3 pages of despair, convinced that I was irretrievably damaged emotionally. I will never forget this; Dr. Wood was my advisor, and a kinder woman doesn’t exist on the planet. But she wrote in bold red pen on the back of my essay: “This poem does not define you.” That’s it, that’s all. I got a B-. I’m not exactly sure why it wasn’t worthy of an A, but the extreme relief I felt at being given permission to separate self from experience, was enough for me.

I am reminded of that poem today, 14 years later, as I cycle through another round of Losing It.

I think my brain is full. I wish I could find a way to empty it of contents I no longer find useful, like the address of my first apartment, the phone numbers of my high school friends, and word-for-word lines from Tommy Boy. I need to clear up some space for things I really need, like remembering to pick my son up from pre-school, to buy Carys a white t-shirt for a school project, to submit that grant application before the deadline, and to get milk on the way home because we’ve been out for 3 days and the kids are balking at eating dry cereal for breakfast.

Bishop uses her poem to suggest that losing things is an art that one should embrace, admire, and even practice. Certainly, she means to lighten the blow of losing the love of her life, but I still take comfort in the lines “Lose something every day. Accept the fluster of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.” Well, thank you, ma’am, I surely will.

Let’s take a brief inventory. So far this school year, I have forgotten Cooper at school 3 times. (Thank God for good friends, because one of the other moms has taken him to daycare each of those 3 times so I didn’t have to pay the late pick-up fee.) I forgot to turn in a field trip permission slip. I forgot to take Emma to Choir practice. I forgot to order a new title on Aaron’s truck, and he has reminded me only about 10 times, and a definite edge is starting to creep into his voice. I have forgotten 2 morning Student Council meetings. I forgot to call and reschedule a hair appointment, and I got the reminder call while I was at basketball practice. I missed a parent-teacher conference for one of my own kids! (And I’m a freaking teacher! I know how important those are!)

Yikes.

I would just like to know why in the world I cannot remember these key components to my daily life, yet thousands of useless pieces of information are stubbornly stuck in my brain. I can remember the names of the families I delivered newspapers to in 5th grade. I know the number for JG Wentworth. (If you watch any television in the afternoon at all, I bet you know the phone number if you NEED CASH NOW. I bet you’re even singing the song…) Why do I remember that the wall art in our recently remodeled hometown hospital is a giant stalk of wheat, but I don’t know what day or time my daughter’s Christmas concert is this year?

Even the students in my classrooms are beginning to recycle themselves. More than once this year, I have looked a student directly in the eye and called them by the name of a student I taught 10 years ago. What is up with that?

But the piece de resistance came the morning that I actually drove down the driveway without one of my children in the car. In my defense, I told them to get in the car, then I went all through the house shutting off every light and unplugging various cell phone, Nintendo DS and tablet chargers. I didn't see my little man Cooper run upstairs to get a truck to play with at daycare. I got in my car, hollered, "Are you all buckled?" to the backseat, and shifted into reverse. I suppose vaguely I remember that only female voices answered me, but it wasn't until I asked "Cooper, did you find your backpack?" that it registered that he wasn't in the car. I was already down the driveway approaching the mailbox. I looked into my rearview mirror, and spotted him running headlong down the driveway after my car.

If there is a sadder commentary on the state of my parenthood, I don't know what it is.

I should be too embarrassed to share this publicly with the world. But I cannot be the only one out there running on half-cylinders, so I'm gonna hope that some of you mothers out there can sympathize and don't judge me too harshly for this one. I guess I'm just going to cling to Dr. Wood's kind analysis, and believe that this moment, this lapse, does not define me.

I stopped the car, of course, and when he got to my door, my little munchkin was pissed. (Sorry about the swear word, but truly, the occassion calls for it.) He hasn't let me forget it, either, let me tell  you. I'll be making this one up to him for the next 20 years.

Bishop writes that the art of losing isn’t hard to master. Clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment