Background

April 15, 2016

A Sonnet of Summer

As we prepare for the practice seasons to begin for all our summer activities, I shall pay tribute to Elizabeth Barrett Browning with an ode to my children.

Sonnet of Summer
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and the breadth of my pocketbook
     (As I shell out registration fee after registration fee)
I love thee to the level at which I must tolerate concession stand food
     (And the sunburn on the tops of my feet and my thighs from sitting
       on scorching hot bleachers under a coating of fine dust from the field)
I love thee as freely as you volunteer me for team duties
     (Though I do sharpen my math skills working in the concession stand
       and hone my interpersonal relationships selling raffle tickets
I love thee with the passion I see you display when you're catching, 
       tumbling, running, biking, building, wakeboarding, swimming,
       tubing, playing, LIVING
I love thee in the stillness of the night 
     (While you sleep the deepest sleep and dream of tomorrow's 
       adventures and I ponder how we will pay for their privilege
       or find the hours in the day to attend them)
I love thee with a love that transcends the small things like money and time
     (Which you will fully comprehend someday when you raise children
       of your own)
I love thee with the breath, smiles, and tears of all my life, and; God willing,
I shall but love thee even better when we win the lottery and I can quit my job
       and follow you to the ends of the Earth 
       lawn chair under my arm, 
       water bottle in my hand
       sunflower seeds in my bag
       visor on my head
       love in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment